Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Costa Rica Overview

Well this might be a bit long- I have not really wanted to be on the internet too much because of all the cool activities in Costa Rica-- here is a bit of a spiel on what I have been doing

Driving in I noticed some strange aspects of Costa Rica- I saw some nice houses followed by little shanty style shacks, along with some brick barrios.  The first hostel we stayed in had semi bars on the outside, and we were located in kind of a city neighborhood with a park across the street.  The stop signs here read Alto instead of Stop- spanish.  We moved from our first hostel to our main hostel in Avellanas, where we are about a ten minute walk from the beach.  The vibe here embodies pure relaxation- reggae mixed with some Pink Floyd, an owner named Gustavo who boogie boards almost every day, and the countless times hearing "pura vida", meaning "pure life".  The air is incredibly thick, and unfortunately being so close to the beach the mosquitoes bite a lot.  All of the Costa Ricans are incredibly courteous- we always get a "buenos dias" or other greeting from strangers on the sidewalk, and the restaurant we have gone to for lunch and dinner almost every day called "Cabinas de las Olas" gives discounts to the Program Leaders.  One of the highlights for me so far has been the food- I have had a lot of beans and rice, and surprisingly french fries.  Like a special burger, which consisted of cheese, ham, and bacon with lettuce and tomato on a burger.  Rice and seafood, pesto pasta, fish, chicken; I have eaten very well, especially considering that I have established myself as the garbage disposal of the group.  So any uneaten food drifts my way every meal.  I don't complain.  One day we visited the touristy area and beach called Tamarindo- lot of surf shops, everywhere really.  I would say there are definitely more surf shops than supermarkets or other more "practical" shops.  What really surprised me was these sketchy guys on a street corner offered me weed.  Wow- apparently the drug problem in Costa Rica, where we are, is huge.  A few other kids in the group got offered too- yikes.  Where we are, Costa Rica is a surfer town full of beach bums- kind and always willing to reach out and say hello.

My activities so far have ranged from early morning surfing, at around 6-8, to ziplining, and tomorrow a catamaran ride.  I am definitely hooked on surfing- I picked it up reasonably fast but now have leveled off and possible regressed-- nose dives and water up the nose to dehydration headaches to just fatigue are a bit frustrating.  I always look over at the locals and they always stand up, always ride the wave perfectly-- plus no cursing or yelling in frustration.  Pura vida.  Ziplining was awesome- I got going pretty fast through the canopy, and on one cable went upside down, with some help from one of our guides.  They have a pretty great job.  In between serious seminars about development and our assumptions as Americans, we have a lot of fun.  The seminars and meetings are mind boggling- a good relation to the feeling of pondering our existence in the world is like putting together a 1000 piece puzzle only to realize that you bought the wrong puzzle.  I sit in a circle of kids my age talking about the meaning of international development in the context of the world and can't help but feel overwhelmed and mentally exhausted at times.  Crazy stuff that simmers in the back of my mind but almost never comes out; critical thinking on steroids.  We have to start self critiquing our own assumptions about the world and development while also understanding the assumptions of authors whose books we discuss.  I think I already have learned that there is no simple answer to the end of poverty or world development.

So here I sit in a bungalow in the middle of Costa Rica feeling ready to move onto Ecuador.  The mood of Avellanas is other worldly, but I feel like I need to move.  Soon I will be sitting with a Spanish family in Ecuador, talking spanish and exchanging cultures and stories.  I'll be learning about the environment, and unfortunately probably not eating as much as I am now.  No reggae music, no surfing-- the real trip begins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment